Holiday meals are known for delicious dishes of turkey and dressing, ham, green beans, pumpkin pie and all the fixings, plus deserts. But for people who suffer from acid reflux or are on weight control diets, some of those foods may be off limits.
Spicy, acidic and chocolate foods may trigger acid reflux, heartburn and regurgitation in people who suffer from GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease), while high carbs, sugar and fat can cause issues for people who are following a bariatric diet. Overeating can be a serious problem for both, ranging from discomfort to disrupted sleep to requiring medical attention.
Although GERD and bariatric patients’ food choices and serving sizes may be limited, that doesn’t mean they have to deprive themselves of the joy of cooking and eating with family and friends.
Here are some tips that can make holiday meals more pleasant for anyone concerned about GERD symptoms or weight gain:
- Skip cranberry sauce, tomato-based foods, onions, garlic and any others that are acidic or are known to cause problems.
- Avoid foods cooked in grease.
- Choose dressings and deserts that are low-fat, non-dairy and chocolate free.
- Stick to safe foods that have not caused any symptoms with you before.
- Drink only water, decaffeinated tea or coffee, and non-alcoholic beverages.
- Choose high-protein foods and eat them first.
- Skip the high-carb and fried foods.
- Select low-carb vegetables and casseroles.
- Avoid sugary drinks and alcohol.
- Include an activity before and after the meal for exercise.
- Use small plates.
- Practice portion control and moderation.
- Eat slowly and chew thoroughly.
- Stick to one helping.
AnMed offers dietary counseling and management for referred bariatric patients. The program can help clients make healthy food choices for life, including the holidays. Assistance includes identifying behavioral patterns, meal planning, nutritional education and sustainable dietary changes. At AnMed, our experienced team of physicians and surgeons are honored to be recognized as area-leaders in weight loss services. We have a dedicated weight loss center conveniently located in Anderson, SC, and are proud to serve residents of upstate South Carolina and northeast Georgia. For more infomation, visit AnMed.org/Weightloss.
If chronic heartburn and acid reflux are causing you to miss out on your favorite foods, AnMed Piedmont Surgical can help. Dr. Paul Frassinelli performs the TIF procedure – an outpatient, incisionless procedure which treats heartburn, GERD and acid reflux at its source. This procedure has a quick recovery time and no scarring. Dr. Frassinelli has performed the TIF procedure more than any doctor in the Upstate. Get back to living without pills and heartburn. To find out if you are a candidate, visit AnMed.org/TIF or call 864.512.7222