What is a Patient & Family Advisor?
The patient and family advisor is a patient, family member or caregiver who experienced care at AnMed Cannon within the past two years. They directly influence policies, programs and practices that affect patient care, safety and services. In addition, advisors offer insight and recommendations to help AnMed Cannon be more responsive to the needs of patients and families.
Duties & Skills
Patient and family advisors should be comfortable sharing their opinions in groups, respect other points of view, and be willing to seek solutions and connect with our staff. They should also:
- Actively participate on committees, projects and initiatives to improve the overall quality, safety and care experience for all patients and families.
- Share experiences and offer constructive feedback, opinions and recommendations in various areas.
- Offer input in the creation, implementation and evaluation of policies and services.
- Serve as a resource for families and employees.
- Work in partnership with others and collaborate on solutions.
- Listen and reflect on issues, thoughts and priorities that are different than their own.
- Commit to improving care for all patients and family members.
- Represent the mission, vision, and building blocks of AnMed.
- See beyond their personal experiences.
Criteria to Become an Advisor
A patient and family advisor must:
- Be at least 21 years of age.
- Have direct experience as a patient, family member or caregiver at AnMed within the past two years.
- Complete an application (including a criminal background check) and interview.
- Attend a volunteer orientation.
- Commit to a specified timeframe, depending on the project or committee.
How do I Become an Advisor?
If you’ve met the above criteria, your next step is to complete this application [PDF]. If you’re accepted, we’ll invite you to do the following:
- Schedule an interview with AnMed Cannon staff to learn more about the advisory position and expectations for the role.
- Complete a hospital and committee orientation.
- Meet with AnMed Cannon’s Health and Wellness Director.