State of the Art Services
The AnMed Behavioral Health Center offers comprehensive behavioral and mental health programs at our Anderson location. We know that families don’t reach the decision to seek outside help for their loved ones lightly, so our compassionate staff recognizes that the services we provide goes beyond our specialty care.
In the Fall of 2022, AnMed completed an extensive renovation and relocation of our Behavioral Health services to the AnMed North Campus. Along with our focus on innovative design features that maximize patient safety, we want to make your loved one's personal experience with us pleasant and comfortable as well.
New Amenities Include:
- A 29,000 square foot cutting edge facility
- Brand new and spacious private and semi-private patient rooms
- Designated quiet rooms
- Designated activity rooms
- State of the art suite for AnMed's upcoming IOP (Intensive Outpatient Program)
- Soothing design features that are comforting to patients
- Picturesque accent walls of local nature scenes
- Expansive waiting area for families and visitors
- Modern nurses stations with increased views of all patient rooms
- Purposeful design elements dedicated to the safety of all patients
Behavioral Health Emergencies
Call 911 or come to the emergency room at AnMed Medical Center if you or someone you care about experiences:
- Thoughts of self-harm or urge to hurt another person
- Hallucinations (seeing or hearing things that aren’t there)
- Uncontrollable mood swings
Expect timely care from our Crisis Assessment and Treatment Team, emergency medicine specialists and psychiatric staff. If your symptoms are related to substance use, we’ll also connect you with Faces and Voices of Recovery (FAVOR) Upstate. This program offers long-term, one-on-one support on the journey to sobriety.
Psychiatric Stabilization at the Hospital
After an initial evaluation, we may admit you to our hospital’s Behavioral Health Center. It provides 24-hour care in a secure setting where you’ll recover before returning home.
Patients take part in the program that best meets their needs:
- Adult Acute Care Program – Confidential treatment for anxiety, depression, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, personality disorders and other mental illnesses in people ages 18–64
- Geriatric Adult Acute Care Program – Short-term psychiatric and supportive care for people 65 and older who experience cognitive, emotional and behavioral disorders
Services at the Behavioral Health Center
During your time with us, you’ll receive:
- Group therapy – Helps patients examine and work through issues and problems in sessions with their peers
- Activity therapy – Supports development of self-esteem and inspires new hobbies, such as arts and crafts, music and exercise
- Patient education – Teaches personal and social skills to cope with everyday life after discharge
- Medical care – Begins with an initial evaluation and continues as needed
- Discharge planning services – Helps patients return to the community or find follow-up outpatient services
Behavioral Health Center Team
You’ll have a full team of compassionate experts in your corner. You may work with:
- Psychiatrist (mental health doctor)
- Mental health therapists
- Activity therapists
- Nurse practitioners
- Nurses and nursing assistants
- Social workers
- Case managers
Accessibility, Comfort & Security
We want you to feel comfortable and safe during your time here, so we provide:
- Communication tools for people with hearing, speech or visual difficulties
- Sunlit day room for socializing
- Inspirational artwork and a soothing color palette
- Visitation area for loved ones
For your safety, the hospital unit is locked, but your family and friends can come see you during visiting hours.
What to Bring
Bring comfortable clothes like those you’d normally wear at home. Don’t bring any electronic devices, such as cell phones, laptops or iPads. You can use our phone at certain times.
Length of Stay
Most patients spend five to seven days with us. Your length of stay depends on your progress and our psychiatrist’s recommendation.