What is COPD?
COPD is a group of lung conditions that block airflow. Emphysema, chronic bronchitis, refractory (non-reversible) asthma and some forms of bronchiectasis are all types of COPD.
COPD symptoms vary, but typically include:
- Frequent coughing, wheezing and shortness of breath
- Feeling tired, especially when doing daily activities and exercising
- Tightness in the chest
- Increased mucus in the lungs
COPD Treatments & Services
Depending on your specific condition, your treatment options may include:
- Medications that widen your airways
- Pulmonary rehabilitation to strengthen the lungs
- Oxygen treatments
- Bronchial valve therapy (spriration valve procedure)
- Lung surgery
Spiration Valve Procedure
You may qualify for the lung spiration valve procedure if you have advanced emphysema. Your pulmonologist may use a computed tomography (CT) scan and lung function tests to determine if this treatment is right for you.
This minimally invasive treatment places a small, umbrella-shaped valve inside the airways to improve lung function. It redirects breathed-in air away from the diseased part of the lung and to the healthier parts so that you can breathe easier.
Talk to Your Doctor
Ask your doctor for a referral to a pulmonologist at AnMed for COPD care—and start breathing better.