Impact of a Stroke
A stroke interrupts the blood flow to the brain and can cause short-term or long-term changes in:
- Behavior and mood
- Memory, learning and thinking
- Muscle movement, strength and balance
- Swallowing, chewing and speaking abilities
What’s Stroke Rehabilitation?
- Regain strength and coordination
- Improve speech, communication and thinking skills
- Increase daily living skills like dressing, bathing and eating so you’re more independent
- Maximize muscle movement and mobility
Rehabilitation after a stroke begins in the hospital to improve your mobility and speech and ease the transition to your next level of care. Expect an initial evaluation by occupational, physical, and speech-language therapists to determine the type of rehabilitation you need.
Each therapist develops a tailored care plan for you. Your activities could include balance exercises, fine motor tasks, practice with a walker or reacher, and training in the therapy gym at AnMed Medical Center. Rehabilitation centers on helping you reach your personal goals, like returning to work or doing daily tasks on your own. We’ll also give your family members or caregivers hands-on training and education in helping you recover.
After Leaving the Hospital
Depending on your needs, you may return home or spend a short time in an assisted living facility or AnMed Rehabilitation Hospital—which offers a specialized stroke program certified by the Joint Commission. Certification recognizes we have a team of experts delivering therapy and the services you need to achieve the best possible recovery after a stroke.
What to Expect from Inpatient Therapy
Look forward to an individualized care plan at AnMed Rehabilitation Hospital. Your care team will include different professionals who provide well-rounded care and assess your progress weekly. You'll have access to:
- Advanced technology to assist your therapy sessions
- Around-the-clock nursing care
- Daily doctor visits
- Three hours or more of combined occupational, physical and speech therapy five days a week
Our top priority is helping you reach the highest level of independence.